And Then There Was Flood

It was like all the other afternoons, but as quick as quick gets, it became nothing like me and my fellow Kagay-anons were anticipating. The wind was not blowing, sure, there were dark clouds but the weather forecast said it was a Low Pressure Area. 

Two o-clock in the afternoon, my father was out, my mother and brother at school, I was reading a suspenseful book when the rain went from drizzle to heavy rainfall almost in an instant! 

Early stages. That’s our car, Blue. As photographed by one of my college teachers on the bridge of our school.

I had no means of communication with my family so I did what I could do whilst inside the comfort of our house. I tended to our dogs, cooked food, and got rid of the excess water outside the house. My father came home at about quarter to three and by then, we have deduced and anticipated a blackout in our area so I heated up our food just in case. Not long after, the power indeed was cut and my father had to set out on foot to get my mother and my brother in school. He was on foot since most of the roads were impassable. I, on the other side of the triangle, sat at home, waiting and reading news updates. Late evening, my dad came back, alone and wet. Not long, my grandfather arrived too. They took different routes because they both came from different places. Granddad had to take the longer route from the upper side because a landslide happened downtown. All of these happened in an instant.

In one of the malls in our city. The situation is pretty much the same in most schools near the area.

Five years ago, on December 16th, a typhoon struck Mindanao and devastating loss happened. The water came from rivers and dams that overflowed. But last night, January 16th, the water came from almost all places! Mostly from canals that could not keep up with the flow of the water. 

National Highway by late afternoon.

Mom and bro got stranded in our school, and knowing my brother’s appetite and choice on food, I knew they’d be fetched by father soon. 

There was total darkness in my room, not even a candle is lit. I find it comforting that way. And besides, they can handle themselves. They’re a tough bunch. Later on, I’d come to realize that people passed on “lugaws” (porridges) for the stranded people in the school and that my brother refused to eat it since he hates lugaw. Luckily, a chef was stranded too and he cooked meat, so kids like my brother could eat. Still, they’d be safe there. I knew that their enemy was only water. 

They eventually arrived home safe, sound, and not so wet by 2 in the morning. The rain was still pouring then but the power came back shortly after so I had to reconnect with friends. 

A photo sent by my friend who went to her kid’s school because her daughter, 5 y.o. was stranded. They had to walk home. She carried her daughter on her back while the child held the umbrella for her.

Some were still stranded in schools, and some evacuated to nearby centers. As of early in the morning by today, our city is under a state of calamity. Still too tired and sleepy but there’s lots of cleaning to do. I sure did want to write about a happier post about my past weekend and the celebrations but this is all that’s in my head, in the moment. I promise a marathon of posts will ensue. For now, another marathon must take place. Cleaning, then sleeping. Hahah!

The aftermath in one the canals near a mall.

See you soon guys! 

4 thoughts on “And Then There Was Flood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s